Dashboard and Visualization Migration
Review how to migrate the current dashboards and visualizations from other Kibana or OpenSearch Dashboards deployments, both managed and self-hosted.
You can migrate popular visualizations, dashboards, and searches from your current Kibana or OpenSearch Dashboards deployment for use in ChaosSearch. This topic describes how to export objects from your current environment and use the import function in the Search Analytics area of ChaosSearch.
These examples show screens for the ChaosSearch-embedded Search Analytics application. Your Kibana/OpenSearch Dashboards application and its features could be different.
To export saved objects from Kibana/OpenSearch Dashboards:
- In your Kibana/OpenSearch Dashboards application, navigate to Management > Configuration.
- In the Configuration window, click Saved Objects. A list of saved queries, dashboards, visualizations, searches and related objects appears.
- Select the object(s) that you want to export in the list, then click Export. This example exports a dashboard named MY_Dashboard.
- In most cases, make sure that you enable Include related objects to export any supporting objects needed by the selected object(s) that you are exporting. If you deselect the option, you export only the main definition of the selected objects.
- Click Export in the prompt area. Look for a message that the file is downloading in the background.
The selected object(s) and related objects are downloaded to a JSON file in your browser downloads area.
To import visualizations, dashboards, or searches into ChaosSearch:
- In the Analytics area of ChaosSearch, navigate to Management > Configuration.
- Click Import in the top right. The Import saved objects window opens.
- Click Import to open a file browser, then select the exported JSON file created by a previous export.
- Select the Import options, such as checking for existing objects and either overwriting or taking other actions when matching objects are found, or creating new objects with new IDs.
Depending on the import options that you selected, and whether there are existing objects of the same name present on the current system, you could be prompted to overwrite files. Migrate your objects carefully to avoid impacts to any current objects on the ChaosSearch system.
Assistance for Migrations
The ChaosSearch Customer Success and Support team can help you with planning and migrating Kibana/OpenSearch Dashboard objects. For questions or assistance, please use your Support Chat or send e-mail to [email protected]
Updated about 1 month ago