Kibana offers a multitude of charts and graphs to select from. Hover over any of the visualization types for more information. For the purposes of this document, click Pie.
The data for the visualization will either come from a new search or an existing search.
For a new search, select the index view that contains the data you wish to visualize. For an existing search, select the saved search you wish to use.
The visualization builder will contain different terms and features depending on the visualization type selected. The examples on this page reflect a pie chart.
For both new searches and existing searches, the visualization builder is displayed.
- Click Slice Size to expand the Metrics section.
- Select a slice size Aggregation. The sizes of the pie slices are determined by Count, Sum, Top Hit, or Unique Count. Enter a Custom Label to rename the displayed label.
- In the Buckets section, select whether or not you are splitting slices within a single pie chart or if you are splitting into multiple charts.
- Select a bucket Aggregation. Select from Date Histogram, Date Range, Filters, Histogram, IPv4 Range, Range, Significant Terms, or Terms.
After selecting the bucket aggregation, the options displayed are dependent on the selected aggregation type.
For this example, let's select Count as our slice size aggregation and Terms as our bucket aggregation. This allows us to visualize terms displayed by frequency.
For the remainder of the options displayed, select a value for Field and leave the remainder as their default value.
Click the Apply Changes button to create your first visualization.
"No results displayed because all values equal 0."
In the case where a visualization is not displayed, check to make sure your time filter is property configured. By default the time range is set to the last 15 minutes.
See setting the time filter for more information.
Hover over any of the pie slices to see detailed information including field value, term count, as well as overall percentage. In this example we can see that there are 118 instances of S3, making up 17.1% of total occurrences.
Click any of the terms shown in the legend and select any color from the color picker.
There are two ways to add filters to your visualization.
Click any of the terms shown in the legend. Select to filter by that term or select to exclude that term.
Click Add a filter to add filters to the visualization. Enter the filter criteria and click Save.
Hover over the filter for the following available options:
- Enable - Click to toggle between enabled and disabled. A quick way to see the visualization with the filter removed without deleting the filter completely.
- Pin - Click to "pin" the filter. Pinning a filter will keep the filter across various screens (Visualize, Discover, etc.)
- Invert - Click to switch between a positive and negative filter. In our example, we are displaying all instances of "S3". Clicking this will display any instance NOT matching "S3"
- Delete - Click to remove the filter.
- Edit - Click to display the Edit Filter modal window.
To save a visualization:
- Click Save
- Enter a name for the visualization
- Click Save
Check out the Kibana documentation for more information about configuring a variety of visualization types through the Visualize screen.
Navigate to the Dashboard screen
|Building a dashboard|